Monday, February 1, 2010

And it begins...

As sports fans know, this is no ordinary Monday. Today begins the Super Bowl XLIV hype as both the Colts and the Saints arrive in Miami. (Pro Bowl players from each team arrived a day early as the NFL forced them to make an appearance at Sunday's Pro Bowl game, but that's a topic for a different day). No, starting today news organizations will inundate viewers with a mountain of stories, some interesting, others not so much. Analysts will break down the game all week, although how they have anything left to talk about come Sunday afternoon is beyond me.

Although the game itself lately has provided high drama, i.e--Giants/Patriots & Cardinals/Steelers--for the most part it has felt like the game was secondary to everything else going on. The halftime show, the pre-game show, the commercials, etc. I'm sure you older readers remember when it was just about the game. Which is probably why I prefer the drama of baseball's World Series or hockey's Stanley Cup to the pomp and circumstance of the Super Bowl. It's always about the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching at a Super Bowl party just like everyone else Sunday. However, forgive me if I didn't pay attention to the latest Budweiser commercial or remember The Who's playlist. I'm more interested in whether Peyton Manning can put an exclamation point on his already Hall of Fame career, or if the Saints can lift the spirits of an entire city to the pinnacle of excellence in the NFL.

Catch 'ya later.
Jason Brown

No comments: