Monday, June 22, 2009

Quick thoughts before bed

It's late Sunday, early Monday--I need sleep, but wanted to blurt a few things into the blog before bedtime.
  • The US Open hasn't felt like a major, and I think it's because the goofy weather has taken the normal buzz out of the National Championship. We have been talking about course conditions due to the wet, rather than the brutally fast greens, ankle deep rough, etc. Maybe that buzz will return when this puppy wraps up on Monday. Ricky Barnes is in trouble off the tee, and Lucas Glover is ready to pounce.
  • The weather has dominated the Open, but mad props to the grounds crew at Bethpage. How that course is remotely playable is miraculous, and they get the slap on the back for a job well done.
  • I want to see Phil Mickelson rally and win this thing. Mind you, I'm not rooting against anyone, but what a story it would be for Phil to bring the Open trophy to his wife Amy. She will begin her battle against breast cancer on July 1. Monday might be the last time we see Phil for a while. I wish them well.
  • Someone spun the clock back 10 years, because David Duval is a threat again. I was blown away when I saw his world ranking of 882. I'm 883. Rats. Seriously, though, nice to see him back in the hunt in a major. He's undergone major changes both on and off the course, and at long last, golf seems to be fun for him again.
  • Anyone else picking up on what seems to be sniping at Johnny Miller by his NBC counterparts? It's subtle, but I think it's there. Miller knows the game, but I'm not a fan of his on-air style. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.
  • Former Charlotte 49er Trevor Murphy was on fire in his 2nd round finish. Birdies on 16, 17, and 18 got him into a tie for 16th with 2 rounds to play. He couldn't follow it up, a third round 77 drops him back in the field, but for a guy playing on the Gateway Tour in Arizona, this paycheck will come in handy. I'm hoping he can play his way into an exemption to the Open next year. 68 in his final round might be the number to do it.
  • Spent the latter part of my evening watching "Ocean's Eleven," on TBS. "Ted Nugent called. He wants his shirt back." Priceless.

Mike Solarte

No comments: