Saturday, January 24, 2009

Remebering Kay Yow

I prefer to celebrate the life of Kay Yow, rather than call her passing tragic.

Her 66 years were not nearly enough, but the gifts and lessons she passed along will live on far longer. She touched the lives of everyone she came into contact with. Her coaches, her players, her family, and Wolfpack Nation.

I was blessed to have crossed paths with her, when I worked in Raleigh from 1995-2002. She was always genuine in her remarks, never dodged a tough question, and carried herself in a way that any university would be proud. She was a leader, a tremendous coach, but most of all, she was one-of-a-kind when it came to the kind of person she was.

She faced cancer the same way she faced opponents. Fearlessly. Never once did she say "why me," but rather it was "how am I gonna beat it." Straight forward, no holds barred. Kay Yow was a fighter. Ultimately, she had fought long enough.

Kay Yow will be remembered more for the way she touched lives. The lessons will live on. Her current coaches and players will pass on her legacy, just the same as her previous coaches and players.

As a result, Kay Yow will live on forever.

Thank you, coach. In the short time that we were able to share a conversation, a laugh, a win or a loss, you taught me plenty--and you probably didn't even know it at the time.

I join the rest of the NC State family with my condolences, but I am grateful to have been indirectly mentored by someone who's strengths far surpassed anyone I have ever met.

Mike Solarte

No comments: